According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, stings from five insects- honeybees, hornets, wasps, yellow jackets and fire ants – are known to cause allergic reactions to the venom injected into the skin.
There are three types of reactions that can occur from an insect sting. These include a normal location reaction, where pain, redness and swelling is confined to the site of the sting, a large local reaction, where there is swelling beyond the sting site and a systematic reaction which is the most severe and can cause hives, itching and swelling away from the sting site and swelling of the tongue and difficulty swallowing and anaphylaxis.
A child may not experience a reaction the first time he is stung. He could be stung several times before he has a reaction.
If a child is stung by an insect, the American Academy of Pediatrics advises that you remove the stinger as soon as possible with a scraping motion using a firm item, such as the edge of a credit card.
If a child is demonstrating signs of a systematic allergic reaction or is having trouble breathing, call 911. If a child has a known allergy, follow the child’s response plan, call 911 if appropriate and notify the parents immediately.