My Blog

NAN: Poisons in the Home

Lesson Progress
0% Complete

The home is filled with many poisons that could be hazardous to children. One of the hidden hazards in the home is poisonous plants. Keeping the home and garden free from poisonous plants can prevent poisoning from accidental ingestions.

Medications stored in medicine cabinets, purses or other areas of the home where children have access can be a real hazard. Store all medications in locked cabinets out of sight and out of reach of the children. Medications should be stored in their original containers. 

Cleaning solutions should also be stored out of sight and reach of the children in locked cabinets and should be stored in their original containers. Do not use empty milk or juice cartons to store cleaning supplies. Mr. Yuk or similar stickers can be put on cleaning supplies to indicate they are poisonous to children. Be sure the local poison control center telephone number is posted in the home by landline phones and programmed into cell phones.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that is toxic to humans. Be sure that carbon monoxide detectors are installed in the hallway near every sleeping area and on every floor of the home to alert those in the home to the presence of carbon monoxide. Be sure that the batteries are tested monthly. 

Many families use portable generators in the event of power outages. Be sure portable generators are used in a well-ventilated area at least 15 feet away from the home. Never use portable generators indoors or in a garage.

Michelle LaRoweNAN: Poisons in the Home