According to the Mayo Clinic, a child may experience shock as a result of trauma, an allergic reaction, blood loss, heatstroke or other causes. When a child is in shock, her organs are not getting enough oxygen or blood which can result in organ damage or death.
A child in shock may appear confused, display irrational behavior, have a rapid weak pulse, have clammy skin or have fast, shallow breathing. The child may also experience change in mental status or behavior. Shock can lead to unconsciousness.
If you suspect a child is in shock, call 911. If you suspect a child is in shock, the Mayo Clinic advises to lie the child down and elevate her legs and feet slightly, unless you think this may cause pain or further injury. Don’t move the child, unless it is necessary. Begin CPR on the child if appropriate. Loosen tight clothing and provide the child with a blanket. Do not offer food or drinks and turn her to the side if she begins to vomit or bleed from the mouth, unless you suspect a spinal cord injury.